Metaphysics of a MetaphorPosted: February 21, 2015 | |
Due to unforeseeable circumstances I was unable to attend the full duration of this constellation option with Professor Clive Cazeaux.
He as asked me to produce a 500 word essay as it is required to pass the module. This is a reminder of everything I noted during the lectures I was a able to attend.
- What is a Metaphor? an action and linking it with a instrument e.g. The mind is a computer.
- A simile – her hair felt like silk. compared it with something.
- A Metaphor is almost an over exaggeration e.g. The stock market is falling.
- In advertising it gives an item a characteristic.
- In Tracey Emin’s “My bed” you would be judging her by her bed. Objects always symbolise beyond themselves.
- Did the other side of the moon exist before it was seen?
- Science vs Philosophy.
- realism is contrasted with idealism. e.g. “If a tree falls and no one is there to see it does it make a noise” George Berkeley.
- Prejudgement- do we look at its aesthetic qualities? do we look at it for the artists intentions?