Maslow’s hierarchy of needsPosted: March 6, 2015
Previous we discussing this with Neil during “Agents of Change” when talking about sustainability, This time its when talking about Advertising. Maslow’s Theory is about our needs as humans being. If we don’t get our needs met then we can’t be human.
- Human needs to live
- Programmed into us
- They need to happen
- Safety of self
- of job
- of property
We have benefits, NHS and the police as our safety net
Belonging and Love Needs
- We need to feel loved
- Belonging – Things in common e.g. Football club.
- Tribalism – Having the interesting in something but favouring something different e.g. like football in common with someone but supporting different team
- To be acknowledged
- Can have a very phycological effect
- Self development
- Helping others to self actualise
To gain a greater understand of this we watched and analysed the Volkswagen – The Force advert
- Was aimed at the dad
- Responsibility – because he fulfilled the child’s needs
- The environment was staged to aim the car at the middle class family audience, using subtle things e.g the family dog, mother cooking, detail of bedrooms, etc.
- Music was humorous yet sophisticated
We were then asked to find an advert we liked and to do the same thing. I chose the Honda – Keep Up advert
- Advert starts with negative talk e.g. “I have given my best” then it turns to say something along the lines of “But if you push you might surprise yourself” and then starts talk motivation, almost feeling like its singling you out.
- Audience – people that want to push themselves or can related to pushing their limits and the feeling the comes with it
- Esteem – Status
- Maybe – Fulfilment
- Everyone that want to be something
Really interesting to understand the strategy’s behind advertising and targeting a specific audience.
ps. Really like the Honda advert, its fresh, sharp and engaging.